Consultation on ‘Building for the High Weald’ – A Design Guide for new housing development in the AONB
The High Weald AONB Partnership, which includes the 15 local planning authorities with land in the AONB, has drafted a Design Guide for new housing development in the High Weald. Once adopted, the Guide will be a material consideration in the determining of planning applications within the High Weald AONB, see map below.
The Design Guide gives succinct, practical and consistent advice on design expectations for new housing development within the High Weald AONB. This will enable higher quality and landscape-led design that reflects intrinsic High Weald character and is embedded with a true sense of place, without stifling innovation and creativity.
The Design Guide is the subject of an eight-week period of formal public consultation from 19 June to 14 August 2019. Further details and how to make comments on the consultation can be found at http://www.highweald.org/look-after/planning/design-guide-consultation.html. A paper copy of the consultation document will be placed at the Rother District Council Town Hall, Town Hall Square, Bexhill-on-Sea, TN39 3JX.
You can make comments in the following ways:
- Alongside the Design Guide at http://www.highweald.org/look-after/planning/design-guide-consultation.html will be an online consultation form. This form will also be available as a downloadable pdf for those who prefer to complete it and email it in.
- Responses to the consultation can be submitted via the online form, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to The High Weald AONB Unit, Woodland Enterprise Centre, Hastings Road, Flimwell, TN5 7PR. Please do not send your response to Rother District Council as it may not be registered.
What will happen next?
- The High Weald AONB Unit will collate all the comments and draft responses to them including any recommended amendments to the Design Guide.
- These recommendations will be discussed by the Officer Steering Group for the High Weald AONB Partnership and any changes agreed.
- The Design Guide will be amended and reported back to the High Weald Joint Advisory Committee in Autumn 2019. This report will include the collated comments and the agreed responses to them.
- Once approved by the JAC, individual local authorities will decide whether to adopt the Design Guide as either a material planning consideration or as a formal Supplementary Planning Document.
Should you have any queries relating to this consultation, please contact Claire Tester at the High Weald AONB Unit: Claire.email@example.com or 01424 723018.